Love ‘n Fresh Flowers is looking for an energetic and detail-oriented farm apprentice for the autumn season. This is a great opportunity for an individual passionate about urban farming and/or growing flowers. The apprentice will learn about and assist with the following:
- Harvesting and processing cut flowers
- Managing weeds
- Clearing planting beds and preparing them for winter rest
- Planting bulbs and corms
- Sowing seeds for spring blooms
- Building low tunnels for protecting tender crops over the winter
- Cleaning tools, buckets, etc
- Making bouquets for grocery store and CSA customers (occasionally)
- Duck husbandry
The Love ‘n Fresh farm is located in the Roxborough neighborhood (zip 19128) of Philadelphia. The farm is not easily accessible by public transportation so the apprentice must have a vehicle of their own. Must be able to work at least 3 days a week, Monday-Thursday. Must be willing to work in all types of weather. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
The ideal candidate will have some previous farming or gardening experience, but it is not necessary.
The apprenticeship begins September 1st and continues until a week after the first hard frost, likely early November.
THIS IS NOT A DESIGN POSITION.
Private and comfortable housing in the Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia can be provided for the right candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.